Let’s be real, nutrition is one of the hardest changes our [[companyame1]] members experience, but it’s also the most rewarding. What to eat in general has become more confusing and more ridiculous as new diets and fads are always emerging.
Diets don’t lead to long-term success. Why? Because most diets focus on cutting back on something, like calories, carbs, or fat. Not only is this unhealthy, but also impractical. Our bodies are machines that need to be fueled the right way to work properly. Starving your body of vital nutrients is bad for your physical and mental health. In addition, research found that only 1% of people who diet solo actually get rid of their excess weight, and more often, gain it all back and sometimes more.
Good nutrition is an important pillar of our program. Since beginning our 10-week challenge in 2001, Farrell's has had the same formula when it comes to nutrition—keeping it easy! It’s not a diet, it’s a lifestyle change in how you eat.
How we eat, what we eat, and the “ingredients” added to our food have considerably changed over the years. We educate our members on making healthy choices and give them the tools and resources to succeed.
So, what makes Farrell's nutrition program different?
- Food is fuel. This is the most important part of our nutrition program. Many people use food as an escape, a friend, or an indulgence. While it’s nice to treat yourself every once in a while, it’s become normal in our society creating an epidemic of obesity. Our members are taught that food is fuel for our bodies and should be treated in that manner. Nothing more.
- We don’t count calories! Whew! Finally, a nutrition program that doesn’t keep track of calories! We don’t pay attention to calories because many foods have empty calories. Also, a food may be higher in calories, but have a better fiber content and carb/protein ratio, which is more important than the calories.
- The right formula. We follow a specific approach to set your carb/protein ratio for each meal based on your body composition. This specifies how many carbs and how much protein you should be eating to fuel your body until your next meal or snack, enabling your body to stay in “burn mode” as opposed to “store mode.” We also teach about good and bad fat. We need to eat good fat as it supplies our bodies with needed nutrients and vitamins we can’t get from any other source.
- Eat less, but more often! Over the course of three hours after we eat, food is released into our blood stream—known as blood sugar or your glycemic index. If too much fuel is taken in, our bodies go into “store mode” turning leftover sugars into fat. Too little and we start to starve our muscles. Our members consume smaller, proportioned meals every three hours to fill up the tank, so to speak, to keep their body in “burn mode.”
- Fun Day. This is what makes our nutrition program sensible. Farrell's Fun Day is one day during the week (usually Sunday) where our members are encouraged to celebrate their week’s successes. This is when they have those indulgences. You can eat what and how much you want on your Fun Day, as long as you go at your Level 10 during the week with your workouts and nutrition plan!
- Water. Our bodies are mostly comprised of water, so drinking enough water is essential to our complete health. Water keeps our body and muscles hydrated, as well as helps alleviate muscle aches. Our members aim to drink at least 10 glasses of water every day. Drinking a glass of water before eating will help make you feel full faster, allowing you to keep portions in check.
So, you could spend loads of money on fad diets, specific meals that count points, counting calories or removing every tasty food from your meals.
Or for a fraction of the price of a diet plan alone, you could sign up for Farrell's next 10-week session and find out how to live a healthy lifestyle and eat normal, good-tasting food! You’ll learn how to eat healthy and participate in intense workouts that burn fat, build muscle, and gain confidence and energy.
Find a location to learn more about our comprehensive program and to sign up! You won’t believe how much you can transform in only 10 weeks with Farrell’s.
FYI—You can eat bread each day with the Farrell's program too!